Sunday, September 9, 2007

SNL standup


Ellie--The comedian

I love SNL (Saturday Night Live for those of you who aren't with it). Growing up, I remember coming home late Sat. night and watching the end of it with my parents before bed. I don't get to watch it very often anymore, except for the occasional rerun, but Ellie reminded me of one of my favorite classic skits the other night--"Deep thoughts with Jack Handy" One of my all time favorites is---

"To me, it's a good idea to always carry two sacks of something when you walk around. That way, if anybody says, "Hey, can you give me a hand?" you can say, "Sorry, got these sacks."

So-- Ellie, unknowingly, reenacted this exact "thought" the other day as we headed out of the Doctor's office. I was struggling to juggle our over sized diaper bag, Maddy-- in her horribly awkward baby carrier, and all the papers, samples and magazines I had just stolen from the waiting room. We were headed down the stairs when I lost my grip and dropped the "hot" issue of Parenting onto the steps, followed by the lotion, soap, and diaper ointment samples. I was afraid that if I bent over to pick them up, I would either drop Maddy or my opened diaper bag would lose all of its contents, so I asked Ellie for a bit of help. She then turned to me with this utter look of annoyance and says "sorry mom, my hands are full. I have my sticker in one hand and my sucker in the other--get it yourself!!" I couldn't believe the nerve!!!

So... JACK HANDY=FUNNY, the same situation with my 3 year old in my time of crisis=not so funny!!

No comments: